Sunday, June 28, 2015

Separating Church and State

And the ranting continues. I apologize. It's been a crazy week!

I don't follow politics all that much, but certain headlines scream at me when they relate to human rights. Today there was a headline about some states defying the Supreme Court decision to make same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states. How can they do that? This decision is based on religious beliefs.

I had always heard there was supposed to be a separation between church and state, meaning you could not create laws based on a specific religion.

The exact words in the First Amendment are, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

The governors of these states are obviously confusing religion with government policy. Someone needs to explain the constitution to them. And these states need to get some politicians in there that represent ALL the people, not just those they deem worthy because of their twisted view of their own religion.

I must stop now before I lose control. The abuse of religion is a sore subject with me. Religion should be about unconditional love for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...