Monday, June 15, 2015

Getting Started on That Novel

As you may know, I have not done those character studies yet. Something was stopping me. I figured out why. I need to write down a basic story structure first, so I have a roadmap for these characters. I Googled some tips, since I have a hard time getting through non-fiction books. Yeah, they may be helpful, but it's frustrating when you just want one question answered.

I started my novel years ago in a roundabout way. I had clear scenes in my head and I jotted them down. An old writing instructor of mine once said that a novel was just a collection of moments. So I was writing down moments. They were great scenes, which I may or may not keep in the finished product. Now that I'm trying to get back to it I am lost. How do I turn these moments into an actual book?

Here's why I love the internet. You can Google something like "character vs synopsis" or "starting a novel" and get tons of great tips. After scanning for a few minutes, I found just what I needed on a site called Advanced Fiction Writing. It made sense to me. As that author mentioned, some of his tips he no longer uses because he later found a better way that worked for him. This is a start. I will let you know how it goes.

Have a lovely day... even if it is overcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...