Saturday, June 27, 2015

Jury Duty

Sorry, but I am ranting again today. Deep breath. Let it out. I am calm, but still angry.

Seems like I get a summons every couple of years to go to jury duty. And every time I find this letter in the mail I am angered. Unlike some people, I do not believe jury duty is a civic responsibility I should be honored to participate in.

I feel like it is something potentially dangerous I am being forced into against my will.

As for civic duty, I pay my taxes, which goes to pay for things my city needs. If I want to serve my city in another way, I should be allowed to volunteer my services, not be forced with threat of incarceration if I don't comply.

There are many people out there who would love to serve on a jury, who never get called. They are waiting in the wings to be a part of this time-honored tradition of taking someone's life in their hands and possibly ruining it forever. Yeah, that's something to be proud of.

Jury duty, just like the military, should be completely optional. End of story.

I have an idea. If we receive a summons and do not wish to participate, how about letting us check a little box that says "not at this time". If we wish to be removed from their random calling list for the next five years we should be able to check a box for that, too. And how about contacting people via email instead of wasting all that paper? Isn't it about time?

How do you feel about jury duty? Are you honored or angered?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...