Monday, December 28, 2015

Star Wars is Back!

We just got home from seeing the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens. I give it two thumbs up! I am a lifelong Star Wars fan, so I was going in with a critical eye.

When we first sat down in the theater, the guy next to me said this was his third time back, so that was a good sign.

I did keep the negative reviews in mind. Some said that there were too many scenes that blatantly copied the first film. I did see some familiar elements, but I don't think they copied the scenes. Dialogue was used again because there are certain lines that always have to be in every Star Wars movie, such as "I have a bad feeling about this.". That didn't bother me at all.

I had read all the spoilers. Sorry, but I've always been a spoiler junkie. I don't like surprises. I'm very happy to know the ending of a movie first, then watch the character journey to that end. I knew what the big climactic scene was going to be and I was ready for it.

SPOILER ALERT: Someone dies. (You're shocked, I know.)

Honestly, I was more upset when Luke lost his hand in The Empire Strikes Back. I won't really miss the character and it was good drama, pivotal to the story. I look forward to the aftermath in the next film.

One thing I was pretty upset with (mini spoiler alert) was the fact that Luke Skywalker was not in the film! Okay, we do get to see him in the last moment of the film, but that was not enough for me. I love Luke Skywalker, always have. I wanted this movie to be about him training the new generation of Jedi warriors. I think we will get that in the next film, though.

All in all, I think J. J. Abrams was the perfect choice to direct this new trilogy. He's a fan and it shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...