Saturday, December 5, 2015

Pirate Fantasy, part 7

Edward brought three men with him to meet with Hopewell one last time. The older man came to greet him as soon as he entered the villa.

"Ah, there you are, Lafitte! Thank you for agreeing to have the ceremony so quickly. You'll understand if I don't let my daughter leave here without such protection."

"Absolutement, Monsieur Hopewell. I, too, am eager to take my bride away wis me." More than the old man realized.

They adjourned down a long corridor to a small chapel. His bride was already waiting there with her mother by her side. She was stunning, dressed in a gown of white satin with tiny flowers in her hair. For a moment he forgot how to breathe. At her wide eyed stare he remembered who he was supposed to be. He stepped up to her and bowed gracefully. "Mademoiselle, it ees an honor to have one so lovely as you for my wife. I assure you will have zee best of everysing."

Carina curtsied. "Thank you, Monsieur. You honor me, as well." She stared at the floor. It was too bad. He longed to gaze into her eyes.

The minister joined their hands together and began the ceremony. An hour later Edward's men were loading the last trunk onto his ship. He helped his wife step aboard. "Welcome to your new home, my love."

Carina stopped and glanced at his face. "I'm sorry. Did you just lose your accent, sir?"

"All will be explained shortly. First, let me show you and your maid to your rooms." He led the two women downstairs and opened a door to a large suite. "This is my room, but consider it yours now." She blushed at his words. "Do not fret. I promise not to enter this room without your permission." He saw her visibly relax. "I will let your maid help you settle in, before I show her to her cabin." He left them alone.

Carina grabbed the other woman's arms. "We did it!"

Mrs. Hopewell looked up at her from beneath the large ruffle of her mobcap. "I find it hard to believe no one recognized me."

"Why would anyone suspect you would be disguised as a maid?"

"I warn you, I have no such skills whatsoever." Her mother smiled.

Carina laughed. "I'm sure we'll be able to take care of ourselves."

Edward Lafitte gave a farewell salute to the island as they sailed away. Then he went below to visit his captain. "Sir, we are away. Our contacts should be raiding the villa even now."

"Good. Good. I'm sure they'll find plenty of damning evidence of Hopewell's betrayal to the Crown."

Edward nodded. "I have a wife!" He sighed happily.

"Congratulations, my boy. Is she pretty?"

"She is a goddess."

"Then what are you doing here? It's your wedding night!"

"Sir, we've only just met. I would never force my attentions on her."

"Oh. You married a woman you only just met? How does that happen?"

"We rescued her, remember?"

"Right! Did I ever tell you I tried to rescue a damsel in distress?"

"Yes, sir. You did at that. What happened?"

"I wanted to marry the girl, but her father forbid it. I knew she loved me, so I vowed I would steal her away. I plotted and planned for weeks, but when I returned with my crew I discovered she was to marry another. Women can be so fickle." He stared at the wall, telling Edward he was done talking.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...