Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Pirate Fantasy, part 8


Edward took a deep breath before knocking on his bride's door. The moment it opened he was momentarily speechless. Carina had changed into a sky blue gown that matched her eyes and he found himself drowning in them. "Ahem. Good evening, my lady."

"Sir?" She looked at him in confusion.

He smiled, realizing she might not recognize him without his disguise. "Forgive my earlier ruse and allow me to officially introduce myself. I am Edward Lafitte...your husband."

Her eyes went wide. "You are not a pirate?"

"Sorry. You seem disappointed." He held out his hand.

She took it and smiled shyly. "No, not at all. Well, maybe just a bit. I was hoping for a grand adventure."

"Speak for yourself, daughter."

Edward looked over at the maid in surprise. "Mrs. Hopewell?"

"Now I must beg your forgiveness," Carina clutched his hand between her own. "My father was a cruel man. I wanted my mother away from him. It was my idea to dress her like this."

"Oh, not to worry, my dear. She is most welcome. In fact she should join us for supper with the captain."

"Thank you, sir," Mrs. Hopewell replied.

"The captain? I thought you were the captain."

"Well, I am, though not officially. The captain is ill, so I have been running the ship in his stead."

Mrs. Hopewell removed her cap and apron and the three went to dinner.

Edward introduced his new bride. "Carina, may I introduce my captain and adopted father, John Lafitte."

Captain Lafitte stood and bowed, holding out his good hand. "A pleasure, my dear girl. Beautiful name. It was my mother's name." He squinted at her and looked sad for a moment. "You remind me of  someone I used to know. I loved her so." He looked down at the floor.

"John?" Mrs. Hopewell stepped forward.

Captain Lafitte looked up at the older woman. He shook his head. "It cannot be," he gasped. "Helene?" He held out his good arm.

She nodded and ran to him. "Oh, John! I tried not to let myself hope, but when I heard the name Lafitte I did wonder." She touched his cheek. "When my daughter came up with the plan to sneak me aboard, I jumped at the chance. At the very least it would take me away from my horrid husband."

"Yes, you married another. You didn't want me."

"I did! I did want you! My father kept us apart! All I wanted was you!"

"Why did you marry Hopewell?"

"Because of me." Carina whispered with tears in her eyes. She leaned back against Edward for support. He held her to him and stroked her arms gently, watching the exchange with fascination. It was clear to him what was going on. His captain had been telling the truth about his damsel in distress all along.

"John, I was forced to marry Hopewell. After my father sent you away I confessed to him that I was with child. Your child." She took his hand and placed it in Carina's. "Meet your daughter."





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...