Friday, December 11, 2015

Pirate Fantasy, part 9

Edward watched as Captain Lafitte stared at Carina and she stared back at him. A sparkle returned to the old man's eyes, something that had been lost for years.

"My daughter?" John touched her cheek. "I never even suspected."

Helene leaned against him with tears in her eyes. "I thought you had changed your mind about me, or that something had happened to your ship when you never returned."

"But I did--" he began.

"I know. My father told me years later on his death bed. He wanted forgiveness for giving me to Chester Hopewell. He saw how unhappy I was in my marriage and felt guilty. He honestly thought he was giving me a better life, but I would have been happier had we sailed away on your ship and never returned." She buried her face in his side and started to cry. "We've lost so much time."

"We are together now, my love. Nothing else matters." He held her tight. "For me it's as if no time has passed. I still love you as much I did then. I could never love another. I have been married to the sea."

Carina smiled through her own tears. "I am so happy to know my father was not that cruel man who cared only for money."

Edward took her hand. "Your true father is a good man. He took me in when I was a young boy living on the streets. He gave me a job and taught me how to take pride in my work. And now I am a successful merchant."

"A merchant? So you're not even a sailor? I thought I would at least get to travel." Carina pouted.

Edward laughed. "Not to worry, my dear. I do sail occasionally. John and I do some trading in other countries when the weather permits. But our main venture is a string of shops we own together."

"We are quite wealthy," John added with a wink.

The group sat down to dine on a seafood feast. Carina ate with abandon, explaining how she had dreamed of such delicacies for years.

"There is something you should be made aware of," Edward announced grimly. "Hopewell was behind the attacks on several trading ships, including His Majesty's own vessels."

"That is how I lost my arm," John whispered.

Helene touched his hand. "You are still just as handsome as ever, with or without that arm."

He brought her hand to his lips. "You honor me, my lady."

Edward continued. "There has been an ongoing investigation these past few years. That was the reason we were on the island."

"You are agents of the King, too?" Carina gasped. "Is there no end to your accomplishments?"

"It appears Hopewell made the right choice of husband after all, my daughter." Helene laughed. "Not that it was his intention."

"Even if it hadn't gone as planned, we would have found another way to save you."

"So why did you marry me? You could have had your crew simply hold a gun to my father, er, Hopewell, while we made our escape."

Edward blushed. "I suppose I could have done it that way, but the simple truth is... I wanted you."

Carina shook her head. "You didn't even know me!"

"I saw you from afar as we were entering the bay. There was something about you that drew me in. Maybe it was love at first sight."

Carina shrugged. "We shall see. Perhaps we won't be able to stand each other by the time we return to your home, wherever that may be."

"London."

"Of course. You are agents of the crown. Silly me. How exciting." Carina did not look excited at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...