Monday, November 2, 2015

Review: American Horror Story

I always say I don't like violence, yet American Horror Story is one of the most violent and disturbing shows I've ever seen and I love it. What the heck does that say about me? Am I psycho?

Oddly, when I first watched it a few years ago I could barely handle the first episode. I have always been a fan of horror films and I had been anticipating this new show, really looking forward to it! It was just too upsetting for some reason. It felt too real, I guess.

Last year my daughter got me to watch the fourth season with her. The writing and acting was so good I decided to check out the first season again. This time I watched it knowing what to expect. I think that made all the difference.

For anyone who hasn't seen American Horror Story, but are curious, let me explain a few things. Each season is a completely different show, set in a different city with different themes. There is a core ensemble of actors in every season, but they play different characters.

Even though there is every kind of monster represented (evil spirits, demons, aliens, witches, zombies, etc.), the core of the show is about the human psyche and the darkness people are capable of. Thankfully, each season has a happy ending. If not, I probably wouldn't like the show as much.

Here is a brief summary:
Season 1: Murder House - This focuses on infidelity and how it affects a family. The setting is a haunted house where many grizzly murders took place over the past 100 years. There were so many ghosts, sometimes we wondered who was alive and who was dead.
Season 2: Asylum - The season was all about faith. It was probably the most disturbing and bizarre for me. The setting is the 1960s in an asylum for the criminally insane, but it's not just the inmates who are scary. The show included alien abduction, Nazi experiments, demonic possession and serial killers.
Season 3: Coven - The theme was racism. This was set in modern day New Orleans, but flashed back to the 1890s. It was about a group of young witches learning to harness their powers as they faced off against a Voodoo priestess and witch hunters. Ghosts and zombies and Hell, oh my!
Season 4: Freak Show - The focus was on tolerance and acceptance. A group of "freaks" are the heroes of this season, which is set in the 1940s. The monsters in this season are mostly human.

Season 5 has started, but I won't watch it until next year when it's on Netflix. I hear there are vampires and ghosts in this one.

Warning: This is not for kids. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...