Saturday, November 28, 2015

Pirate Fantasy, part 5

The office was immense. It was more like a library, with books lining three of the four walls. Directly across from the entry was a set of large french doors that opened to a patio and garden. Throughout the room was plush furniture for conversation or lounging.

"If you are quite finished examining my office you may have a seat, Mr. Lafitte!" Old Hopewell bellowed.

Edward tilted his head, hoping to express he was not impressed, as he slowly took a seat across from the massive mahogany desk. In a practiced French accent he said, "Merci, Monsieur Hopewell. It ees an interesting little home you have here on ziss island."

"You think my home little?"

"Forgive me. My English iz not so good. I find it... quaint?" He fluttered his hands at the room. "My own estate is quite large and can accommodate two of you own. But zen I have many people who work for me and live on my property. I am a very powerful man looking for an equally powerful family in zee Americas wiss whom I may combine resources."

"What can you offer me in exchange for my daughter's hand?"

What a pig! He was selling his daughter off with no care for her feelings? He cleared his throat. "I have many trading ships. I am zee most powerful trader in all of Europe, and soon to be zee Americas. Zere is no one comes close to my connections and operations."

Hopewell grinned at him and nodded, looking him up and down. There was actually a twinkle in the old man's eyes. Edward tried not to shudder at the fact this man would give his daughter over to an obvious pirate.

"You'll do nicely."

A woman's gasp came from across the room. She had been half hiding in the shadows of a bookshelf. She stepped into the light. "You cannot be serious, Chester!"

"Do not speak against me, woman! You of all people should not be surprised by my choice." He glared over at her and she shrank back, staring at the floor.

Edward maintained his persona and flashed an arrogant smirk at the old man. "We must keep our women in zere places, yes!" He laughed loudly.

Chester Hopewell stood and extended his hand to seal the deal. "I will have a marriage contract drawn up immediately. We can have the ceremony at your earliest convenience."

"Zat would be most appreciated." Edward shook the disgusting man's hand before turning to go. He was in shock. What sort of man would give his daughter to a pirate? For all he knew she could be sold into slavery or used among the men on the ship. He was not about to let anything like that ever happen to his midnight angel. Once she was his he would protect her with his life. For she would soon be his wife in truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...