Thursday, November 19, 2015

Back Off

Today on my way to work I nearly had a heart attack. A man behind me kept stopping right on my bumper. I kept giving him hints by moving a few inches and stopping again and again, but every time he would pull up behind me as close as possible. I know I’m short and have a hard time seeing how close I am to other cars, but I couldn’t see his bumper, not to mention the entire hood of his car. I kept thinking that I would jump out of my car at the next light and lay into him for being such a moron, but I didn't.

I don’t know how most people learn to drive, but one of the most important lessons I ever learned was to always make sure I could see the back wheels of the car in front of me when stopped at a light. That prevents two things:  getting stuck behind the car if they break down -AND- rear-ending the car if someone hits you from behind (thus destroying the front of your own car)

Did this guy behind me never learn the rules of the road or was he just completely “asleep” at the wheel? That scared the crap out of me! I was still shaking when I sat down at my desk.

When you get behind the wheel of a car you are responsible for everyone else out on the road. Be awake and aware at all times. Keep a safe distance between you and the car in front of you at all times. Remember the “three second rule”? Well, now it has been increased to four or more seconds when driving conditions are worse, according to the DMV.

Even if you don’t ever cause an accident, any bad driving habits can cause someone else serious emotional and psychological harm.

Be safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...