Friday, November 20, 2015

Movie Review: Mockingjay, Part 2

Yesterday I took my daughter to preview night of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2.

In a word it was AMAZING! It was so close to the book that I cannot complain much. The only problem I had was a lot of important moments went by too quickly, but when you're reading something it does get stretched out a bit with commentary. Then the ending I just had hoped would be embellished a bit. The book jumped to the epilogue too abruptly for me and so did the movie. It was still great. I just wanted more.

In this final chapter we follow Katniss and company into the Capitol on her quest to assassinate Hitler, er, President Snow. He knows they're coming and has booby trapped the entire city. With cameras rolling he intends for this to be the greatest Hunger Games ever.

The special effects worked seamlessly. There were jump scares throughout, making everyone scream and gasp. My daughter and I were clinging to each other at one point, knowing what was to come (since she's the one who made me read the books).

By the end of the film you don't know who is the real enemy and who is just trying to keep the peace for the greater good, no matter how screwed up their thinking might be. Well, if you read the books you know.

This story is quite a political statement on war. You may think your government is doing the right thing, but there are hidden agendas everywhere.

The theater was pretty packed, but everyone was respectful and vocal at the right times. We laughed and booed and cheered together.

The series has ended, so I guess you could say I am hungry no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...