Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Asthma

Breathe in. Breathe out. Then repeat.

For some it's not so easy.

I have asthma. I've had it most of my life, but didn't realize it until my twenties. I think being a serious singer helped. I did more breathing exercises when I was younger, so my lungs were strong with a big capacity. Then I got older and left school. I didn't do my vocal exercises anymore, even when I was singing in rock bands.

I was finally diagnosed, but the medications didn't help much. The only thing that makes a difference for me is the rescue inhaler, but I'm not supposed to use it unless it's an emergency.

So now it's back to the breathing exercises. I have to retrain my body to take deeper breaths and expand my lungs.

Breathe in deeply. Hold it. Let it out as slowly as possible. Then repeat. I've considered wearing an ipod with a breathing exercise track to remind me every day.

Now I refuse to be a slave to drugs that don't show me any obvious sign of relief. I'm sorry, but my asthma attacks went away just as quickly before I was on QVAR. And it never prevented anything. Every winter, coughing fits. Now that I've quit taking it I haven't noticed anything different. I just need to stay out of cold air. That's mainly what causes my attacks (also cigarette smoke and perfume). A scarf around my mouth and nose works just as well.

And before you all start freaking out, I have researched it. It is possible to manage my asthma without drugs. And I will keep my rescue inhaler with me at all times for emergencies. Fortunately, it's never gotten too bad.

FYI, I don't recommend this for anyone who has severe asthma. If you have had moments when you could not take a breath at all, that is different. Please take your medication!

Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...