Saturday, November 7, 2015

Bullying

I had lunch with a friend recently and we discussed the fact that I have a mental block that keeps me from succeeding at what I really want to do.

It turns out we had both been bullied when we were kids. She told me that sometimes we, as victims of bullies, grow up and continue to bully ourselves because a small part of us believes the things that were said to us. That was a jaw dropping moment for me because I could totally see that.

A part of me believes I don't have what it takes, that nobody is going to enjoy what I write and that I don't deserve success as a writer.

Screw that!

As I told my friend about the book series I had planned she could see how happy I was, the passion in my voice as I spoke. I was lit up from the inside. That is what you are supposed to do with your life. Find the thing that makes you most happy and turn it into a career.

I have to channel Stuart Smalley again and repeat his mantra: I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

To all the once-bullied out there, stop bullying  yourself! Move on. That period of your life is over and you are destined for greatness.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...