Friday, July 10, 2015

Wordiness

I was doing some research today on how to start a novel, which led me to a great page full of author quotes. I particularly liked this one.

Don’t write the parts people don’t read. ~ Elmore Leonard

That really stood out for me because I sometimes find myself glazing over whenever there is too much description in a scene. There have been many books I've enjoyed, but still had to zoom through paragraphs because the author got too wordy. I think it's okay to let the reader form their own visuals. You don't have to explain every square inch of a room, or explain every single thought in a character's head. Well, maybe if it's a mystery or crime drama you might need to know. But that's not my genre.

I will keep this quote mind as I embark on my story... which I still have not started up again. I have yet to write those character studies I meant to do a few weeks ago. Sorry, me. I'm holding you back again. Just write. Anything! It can all be changed later.

No worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...