Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Clown, part 6

"It's okay! It's okay. Shhh, calm down." Brad's voice soothed me as my breathing normalized. "You were just dreaming."

"We need to get away from here." I was hysterical. "There's something wrong with this place. I've never had nightmares like that before. I've never seen clowns as evil, but I keep dreaming about that one in the lobby, even before we got here!"

"Okay, hon. We don't have to stay here. I just want you to be happy. I thought this place would be fun."

"I thought it would be, too. I loved it when we first got here. The energy is just bad."

The sun was coming up, warming the chills in my body. I was so eager to leave, I didn't bother to change my clothes. I jumped out of bed and grabbed my suitcase. "Race you downstairs!"

"Hey! No fair." Brad got up more slowly. He was never much of a morning person.

"I'll drive." I went downstairs and put my suitcase in the trunk before heading to the lobby. The desk clerk was the same cheerful guy from last night.

"Hiya! Did you sleep well? You got the quiet room, ya know?"

"I noticed. Unfortunately we need to leave sooner than expected." I handed over my room key just as Brad walked up behind me. He turned in his key as well.

"Interesting place you have," Brad said kindly.

"Why, thank you. We think so."

"We?" I asked, glancing over at the clown collection. The giant clown doll was missing. My body started trembling again.

"What is it?" Brad gently ran his hands along my arms, trying to soothe me.

"I'll be outside." I left without another word, unable to stay in there any longer. Brad joined me a minute later. I turned to him and hugged him tight. "I'm so sorry, Brad. I didn't mean to ruin your special weekend."

"What are you talking about? It's not ruined. I only planned for us to stay here one night anyway. We're headed to Las Vegas, baby!"

I looked up at him in surprise. "Vegas!"

"Let's do it. Let's get married. I hear they have a circus wedding chapel over there." He smiled, his eyebrows wiggling up and down."

I laughed. "Yes! I would love to marry you in a circus chapel, you goofball."

"I was hoping you'd say that because our families are waiting for us."

"WHAT?"

"Surprise?" 

I laughed and gave him a shove. "Some surprise!"

He chuckled. "Sorry, you know I can't keep a secret. Just act surprised when we walk in, okay?"

"Sure." Tears suddenly filled my eyes. I loved this man so much. Not only did he understand me unlike anyone else, but he put up with all my weirdness. No, he embraced it. "I love you."

"I love you, too. Let's get going."

We jumped in the car and headed for Sin City, where we would become a traditionally (or untraditionally) married couple.

--

Back in the lobby, the desk clerk's smile became a frown as he watched the car speed away. "Dammit, Larry! What happened?"

A skinny man walked out from the back room wearing the blue and yellow striped clown suit. He held a large butcher knife. "I dunno, man! I was about to go in when this black and white clown just appeared in front of the door. Like, out of thin air! He glared at me and shook his head, so I got the hell outta there fast!"

--

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...