Friday, October 16, 2015

Gun Scare

Today my daughter's school campus had a lockdown. Apparently one of the students had a gun and was making threats on the school. Another student called the police. We still don't know all the details.

For two hours my daughter had to hide in a darkened portable classroom without moving or making a sound, while SWAT teams swarmed between the buildings, checking doors and searching for this rogue student.

I passed the school on my way home and saw several cop cars out front. My first thought was "There's a gunman on the school campus!". It's depressing to think of how common this occurrence has become. It seems like every other week there is a school shooting. Thankfully, I had finally bought my daughter a cell phone for her birthday and she takes it to school with her. We texted each other every five minutes or so, keeping each other calm, until the students were evacuated.

I am not going to get into a debate about whether or not people need to own guns, but I don't like them. And I have no patience for people who allow their children to have access to them.

I think the bigger issue is mental health. Parents need to pay more attention to their children and their children's friends. Teachers need to be more watchful of distress signals in their students. We all need to get to know our neighbors.

In a perfect world, right?

Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...