Monday, January 25, 2016

The X-Files Has Reopened

Last month I mentioned how my daughter was trying to binge watch all nine seasons of the original X-Files series in order to get ready for the new miniseries. Well, she made it to season 5. Not too shabby.

Because my husband is a bigger X-Files fan than me he had to see the new show immediately, therefore not allowing our daughter to finish the old series. In order to get up to speed we all watched the two X-Files feature films back to back. Fight the Future (1998) was good and it continued the alien conspiracy story. We actually had never seen the second one, I Want to Believe (2008), so we were excited.

Then we were depressed.

That second X-Files film was like a slap in the face to the fans. It was pointless and downright rude. It had nothing to do with the series, went off in rambling directions and implied some Scully/Mulder love affair that we had never been made aware of. Apparently it started and stopped offscreen, then rekindled for five seconds in some random awkward bedroom scene. I couldn't tell if there had been hanky panky going on or if they were just sharing a bed because there was only one. I mean, Mulder had always been famous for his inappropriate sexual comments.

But on to the new show. "Woohoo!!!" was the collective cheer from our living room as we caught up with last night's premiere episode. It has the feel of the original series, while including some of the storyline of the last film. The new show started off with alien and government conspiracy and had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

If you are an X-Files fan I think you will really enjoy the new episode. Of course, I don't know how good the other five installments will be. I could be jumping the gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...