Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Alone in the Woods, part 5

I curled in trying to keep warm. The cold wind I had felt when I first walked in kept blowing intermittently throughout the night. Then I thought I heard voices. I would wake up and could've sworn I heard my friends calling to me. At one point I even called back. That was silly. They had left me here.

Finally the sun came up. the warmth piercing through the coldness of the cave. I sat up and stretched. Ow. I felt more tired than I did when I went to sleep. My whole body ached. How was I going to hike anywhere, let alone miles back to town? I had to try. I pulled myself up and walked slowly into the morning light. At least it was warmer. I unzipped my windbreaker and tied it around my waist.

Thankfully there was a clear road leading the way out. I stared at the ground. How odd. I could've sworn it was just a dirt road when we arrived, but it was paved smooth, like a city street. Well, at least it was cleaner. I sure didn't want to walk through the dirt getting my keds all grody.

As I walked down the road I listened carefully to the sounds of the forest. I heard children laughing. People! I was so thirsty; hopefully they would share their supplied with me. I rounded a curve and saw a family. The parents were putting up a tent, while their kids played tag. After a few seconds the kids seemed to get bored and sat down at the picnic table. They each pulled a flat little box out of their pockets and proceeded to stare at them, completely ignoring each other. What could be so fascinating that they would give up a fun game of tag? I loved tag and I wasn't even a kid!

"Hello!" I called out, waving my hand.

The kids looked up in fear and ran behind their parents. Gee, I didn't think I looked that intimidating.

The dad held out his hands as if trying to placate me. "We ddidn't bring any money with us. Please, just leave us in peace."

"Sorry?" I was getting a little freaked out by these people. "I was just going to ask for a cup of water."

They looked relieved. The mom said, "Oh, water! Sure! We have some water." She ran to a fancy cooler and took out a clear bottle. It was so beautiful, almost like glass art. She handed it to me. "Here ya go."

"You're giving that to me? It looks so expensive."

They all laughed at me. "It's just bottled water! Haven't you ever seen a bottle of water before?" The little boy asked.

I shook my head as I tried to open the top. The little girl took it from my hands. "Like this." She pulled the small cap upward and it produced a drinking hole. She turned it upside down and squeezed, making the water squirt out in a stream.

"Where did you get this? It's incredible!" I took the bottle back and squirted a stream into my mouth and then laughed.

They all stood there staring at me like I was a lunatic.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...