Thursday, January 21, 2016

Alone in the Woods, part 10

I was surrounded by tall clothing racks full of solid color jumpsuits in red and yellow. These were what everybody had been wearing outside. They all looked the same. Although another rack had pants and shirts. Okay so there was a little bit of variation.

"Welcome to your one stop uniform shop!" I jumped at the perky voice next to me. I looked over to see a young woman with short dark hair wearing a yellow suit. "What is that crazy getup?" She stared at my clothes.

"It's a costume," I lied.

"You better not let any Blues see you in that."

"I already have and I explained the situation to him. I'm filming a movie with some friends. They have permits."

"Oh, yeah? Which web is it on? Will I get to see it this week?"

"Web?"

"You know, dark web, mainstream web, military web, whatever."

Before I gave myself away I blurted out, "It's for the dark web. It's a horror movie!"

"Nice! You gotta punch in your yerly for me."

"Yerly?"

"Your U-R-L."

"Oh, right." I didn't have a clue what she was talking about.

She touched a spot on her wrist and it glowed! Words appeared on a tiny screen. It was like something out of James Bond...or Secret Squirrel. I could feel my breath coming in quick pants. In a few more minutes I was bound to pass out. But I had to know what the hell had happened to me and where I was.

"I actually don't know the URL, but I can get it to you later. I'm sorry, but I'm feeling a little dizzy, like I might have blacked out and lost time." I had heard about that in a science fiction movie once. "Can you tell me what day it is? Do you have a calendar?"

"Sure I do. Don't you? Where's your display?" She grabbed my hand and I pulled it back quickly.

"It's malfunctioning. Can I see your calendar?"

She swiped her wrist again and a mini calendar appeared. June 2036.

I grabbed hold of the clothing rack and nearly fell over. It was still June, but I had somehow jumped ahead sixty years!

"Hey, you a'right? You don't look well."

"I need some air," I whispered before stumbling out the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...