Sunday, January 24, 2016

Alone in the Woods, part 11

"Sixty years. Sixty years," I kept mumbling to myself as I wandered blindly down the walkway I had used to enter this surreal shopping mall. Taking one last look at the colorful people and cars, I turned back to the woods and ran as fast as I could across the highway and into the coverage of trees.

I ran and ran until I couldn't breathe. I stopped for a few minutes. Luckily I was still clutching the water bottle. I must have had a death grip on the thing to not drop it in all the confusion. I took a few swigs then continued on my way up the road. After a few more rest stops I passed the family in red, ignoring them when they greeted me. All I could think about was getting back to that cave. That had to be what had brought me here.

Finally I was back at my abandoned campsite. I finished off my water and headed straight for the gaping hole in the mountain. I didn't think about how tired I was. I didn't stop to consider how freaked out I was. I just walked into the dark and kept moving until I collapsed from exhaustion and shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...