Saturday, April 9, 2016

Writing Challenge Day 9 - Ageism

Flash Fiction Challenge Day 9 - Your feelings on ageism

"What do you mean I'm too old to work here?" Since when was 60 old? That wasn't even retirement age! "I happen to be a huge music fan. I even have a web log."

"You mean a blog?" The young man behind the counter gave her a dubious stare.

"Right. Blog. That's what I meant. Been writing it for over twenty years now, back before they were even called blogs. I was an innovator, I tell ya. People copied my page, but I was one of the first music reviewers on the internet!"

"Okay, that's impressive I guess. But what do you know about pop music? And I'm not talking about The Beatles or Wham."

Trixie glared at the upstart. "You think just because I'm a little older than you I don't listen to Twenty One Pilots or Drake?"

The young man raised his eyebrows, making his piercing tug on his eyelid. Trixie shuddered. Kids today were so stupid! What if he fell and got that ring caught on something. He'd sure look mighty handsome staring at people like Batman's Two-Face. 

"Honestly I'm surprised you even know who those artists are." He paused for a moment before asking, "Who's your favorite artist from this year's Grammy winners?"

She shook her head at him. "Why not just ask me who my favorite kid is? Jeez!" She thought for a moment. She had written a review on the Grammy Awards show, but she always strived to keep her articles unbiased. "Hm, I suppose if I have to pick just one I would go with Ed Sheeran. That guy can do anything from ballads to rock and soul. Thinking Out Loud is my favorite song of 2015."

The young man nodded and smiled. "Ed Sheeran is my boy. Anybody who loves Ed is okay in my book."

"Gee, thanks. Does that mean I have the job?" 

"I think we can work together." He held out his hand. "Welcome to Record Shack."





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...