Thursday, April 14, 2016

Writing Challenge Day 14 - Seven Years from Now

Flash Fiction Challenge Day 14 - Your life in 7 years

The assignment was passed around the classroom.

"Where do you see yourself in seven years?"

Sheila had never really thought about her future. Life was all about making it through another day with her body and spirit intact. Avoid Mom when she's drinking, stay away from Dad when he's home.

She repeated the question again to herself. She heard other kids laughing and teasing each other.

"I'm gonna be a dancer on Broadway!"

"You'll be a dancer all right, but at my strip club! Hah!"

"I'm going to marry a rich doctor."

"There ain't no rich doctors, babe. They're all broke because of Obamacare."

"That's not true! Is it?"

Sheila stared at the blank paper and knew where she wanted to be. She wrote quickly before she let her mind tell her what she couldn't do.

Mrs. Thompson stood up. "Would anyone like to read theirs to the class? Remember, there's no right or wrong answer, just a thoughtful one."

Sheila took a deep breath and raised her hand. It was time to speak her truth, make things happen. The first step was to say it out loud. Mrs. Thompson nodded at her with a smile. "Go ahead, Sheila."

"Um, this is where I would like to be in seven years. After winning a full scholarship to Harvard University I will complete my law degree and graduate at the top of my class. I will set up a private practice and a non-profit organization to help abused teenagers become emancipated minors and find safe homes where they can study in peace and work toward their future careers, by helping them get full scholarships, too." She cleared her throat and sat down.

The room was silent. Mrs. Thompson wiped away a tear, obviously unable to speak. Finally, Brett tapped on her chair from behind. "I sure could've used that this year. I hope you make it happen, Sheila."

She smiled to herself. She would do her best. All she needed was the scholarship.

"Sheila, please see me after class. I think I may be able to help you out with part of that plan."

Sheila gasped. Was that all it took? "Ask and you will receive," she whispered.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...