Monday, April 11, 2016

Writing Challenge Day 11 - Relationship Blues

Flash Fiction Challenge Day 11 - Your current relationship

"Your current relationship sucks, Joseph!"

"Don't start, Deb." Joseph held his arm tight against his chest and watched the medical staff dash around the waiting room.

"Don't start? Don't START?!? How 'bout I finish it? Why the hell are you still in this mess? This is the third time I've brought you to the ER this year!"

Joseph sighed. His sister was right. He knew that. "You don't know what it's like out there, Deb. I don't want to go back to dating again. Maybe we can try couples counseling."

Deb snorted. "Like that'll ever happen."

"It might." Joe frowned. He knew he was kidding himself.

"You don't deserve this, little brother. You are a good man and you need someone who loves and appreciates you, not somebody who treats you like their personal slave."

"It's not like that," he lied.

"It's exactly like that!"

His sister was too smart for her own good. "I don't know what to do? We've been together for so long."

"Can you look me in the eye and tell me honestly that you are happy in this relationship?" She took his good hand and placed it against her cheek. Her eyes filled with tears.

Moment of truth. Joseph took a deep breath and searched his soul. Could he let this continue? Was this relationship worth saving? He shook his head and was surprised to feel his own tears roll down his face. "I deserve better."

"Yes, you do." She wiped his tears away and smiled sadly at him. "As soon as we get that arm fixed up we are packing up your stuff. David can find himself another boy toy."

Joseph nodded. He knew she was right, but the thought of going back into the dating pool made him queasy.

"By the way, when you're ready, I have someone I'd like you to meet."

"Who?"

Deb smiled. "His name is Charles and he works in my office. He saw your photo on my desk last week and his exact words were, 'Who's the cutie?'. When I told him you were my gay brother he lit up like the Fourth of July." She laughed.

Joseph smiled. Maybe ending things with David wouldn't be so hard after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...