Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Le Grand Danois, chapter 9 (the end)

Read Le Grand Danois, chapter 8 here.

The kennel was very nice. The puppies got to stay with Momma. There were nice warm blankets and they got all the food they could eat. People there were friendly, too. Lots of visitors came by and talked to them. Sometimes they even played with them.

"Oh, daddy, look at that puppy! She's so cute!" A little girl with blonde curls bounced up and down on her tippy toes, tugging on her father's coat.

The larger of the two puppies strutted around like a peacock for the man and his daughter.

"Do you want her, sweetheart?"
"Really?"
"I promised your mother I would bring home a pet."

The girl beamed at her father then turned to the prancing pup. "Would you like to come home with me and be my very best friend forever and ever?" She held out her hand to the dog and got some enthusiastic licks on her fingers. "I think she likes me," the little girl giggled.

Momma sighed as she watched the family take her proud daughter. The pup didn't even glance back in farewell. Ungrateful whelp. She turned to her son. Hopefully someone would want him, too. He was so quiet and shy...and scrawny. No matter how much he ate it didn't seem to affect him in the least. Where was all that food going? She whined and nuzzled her boy. He snuggled into her warmth and they both slept.

A few weeks later they were still there. Nobody wanted an old dog or a runt. Momma wondered if they would be allowed to stay even if they didn't get adopted. She hoped.

"I can't believe you're still here!" A middle-aged man with greying brown hair walked up to her cage. She recognized him from that night in the alley. He was the one who had brought them here. "I see your little girl got adopted. That's good, that's good. I'm going to keep tabs on you, black beauty. As soon as your boy gets adopted, I'm taking you home to my family. No offense to your son, but I just don't have the energy to train a puppy." He reached through and gave Momma a pat on the head. "Until then." He smiled down at her then walked away.

--- 

It was months later when a tall man with dark hair and deep blue eyes came to visit them. He knelt down and looked sadly at Momma. "Hey there, beauty," he said softly. "Sorry I haven't been to visit. I've been away."

Momma's little boy--who had finally grown to be quite large--walked over and stared at the man. There was something very familiar about him. When the stranger looked into his eyes he whimpered. It was their hero!

The man chuckled. "Is that you, ace? You sure have grown! You're bigger than your mother now." He held out his hand and the pup placed his paw on top. "It's good to see you again, too." He shook hands with the dog. "I have a young boy at home in need of a friend. I think you'll be the perfect candidate. I just need to go get the person in charge and I'll be back." He turned to Momma. "Don't worry, beauty, I know for a fact you're getting a home, too." With a smile, he walked away.

Momma rested her head on her son's neck. This was goodbye, but this time she was happy. She and her son would be with good people, true heroes.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...