Saturday, August 22, 2015

High School Has Begun

My daughter survived her first week of high school. Yeah! Actually, half the week was just orientation. On Thursday and Friday the kids started their new schedule.

They alternate classes each day. Three classes on one and three on the other. Friday is a check in day with their "mentors" and to catch up on assignments. Each class is 90 minutes, which gives plenty of time to learn a lesson and start an assignment, as well as meet with the teacher if having trouble.

I wish my school had been like this. I keep telling my daughter how lucky she is. All the teachers in her school are truly excited about their jobs and about helping kids. I remember a lot of teachers in my own school acted like they didn't want to be there. "Just read chapter three and answer the questions in the back. Blah-blah-blah."

Some people don't like charter schools, but I think they are good for giving regular public schools a much needed wake-up call. Already another local high school has adopted this same block scheduling. I think it's brilliant. It's less stress for both the students AND the teachers. Gone is the monotony of having the same boring schedule every day and you have a chance to finish homework before you get home. No child needs to face hours of work after spending all day working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...