Monday, March 21, 2016

Silicon Valley Comic Con

This past weekend I attended the first ever Silicon Valley Comic Con. This event was created by Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple Computer, and his desire was to create a fusion of comics, pop culture and technology. It had been three or four years since I had attended San Diego Comic Con with my husband. I stopped going because the crowds had gotten so out of hand. Being such a historic event, I had to attend this convention. Although I didn't go to any panels I had a great time watching the cosplayers and seeing old friends.

The highlight of the weekend was when my daughter and I went looking for the guest lounge so we could get some coffee for Mick (he was a guest artist, so I had his guest badge). A staff member led us upstairs. I thought it was strange, since another staffer had mentioned it being downstairs near the volunteer lounge. Whatever. We were led to a room with bagels and fruit and coffee. Yay! We put a couple plates together, grabbed some coffee and turned toward the door. At that moment William Shatner (Captain Kirk) walked in! I said, "Hey!" He said, "Hi, how ya doin'?" (or something like that... I was in shock, so my memory is fuzzy). I replied, "I'm good. How're you?" He honestly looked exhausted, so I just left.

At lunch time we went back upstairs to get Mick some food. My daughter and I made a plate for ourselves and sat down to eat before we went back. I glanced over at the table to my left and saw Nathan Fillion (Mal, Firefly). And across from him was Bonnie Wright (Ginny, Harry Potter). Then at the table to my right was William Shatner again. I immediately whispered to my daughter, "I don't think we're supposed to be in here." Later I found out that was the celebrity lounge. Oops! At least nobody kicked us out. That would've been really embarrassing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words...